Like many other NZDA branches around New Zealand, Hutt Valley Branch runs a HUNTS
training course for those who are new to hunting and those that want to brush up on their skills. The course is run along modular lines and is delivered by experienced hunters. The course begins on Thursday September 8th and runs through to the first weekend in November 2022.
For more information contact the branch HUNTS administrator: mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org or to apply click on the application form link over to the right.
You will be taught essential skills in the following:
- Bush craft
- Food Cooking
- Route Selection
- River Crossing
- Gear Selection
- Trip Planning
- Hunting Technique
- Shooting Skills
- Firearms Safety and Care
- Stalking Technique
- Habitat of Game Animals
- Game Sign Identification
- Game Preparation
- 5 x Range days at the Kaitoke Range Complex including: firearm safety & maintenance, shooting competency, firearm selection and preparation.
- 5 x Classroom lessons including , pack preparation, trip planning, first aid, hunting ethics, equipment essentials, bushcraft.
- Introduction to basic first aid
- 1 x 3-day field trip covering navigation, bush craft, species ID and habitat, river crossing.
- 1 x 3-day hunting field trip covering basic hunting skills, butchery and meat preparation.
- Students must be a minimum of 16 years old, 15 year olds will only be considered if their birthday is within the calendar year of the course.
- A firearms licence and ownership of a firearm is not essential
- You must be a senior/junior club member or an NZDA affiliate member. Sign up
HUNTS Course graduates can complete an Advanced Course which involves the graduates planning their own deer hunting trip under the guidance of an instructor.
In addition, there are multiple club trips organized throughout the year for those that have completed the HUNTS Course. These trips are for those who wish to build their confidence, all under the watchful eyes of an experienced hunter.